All of CARA’s programs are designed based on current research in the field of college access. CARA views research and program design as mutually reinforcing; we use programs as a way to advance research in the field, and think of research as an important tool for improving program design. Some publications that come out of CARA staff’s work:
- Cowan, L. and Chajet, L. (March, 2012). Walking the Same Hallways: Youth Leadership in College Access in NYC: A White Paper. Brooklyn Community Foundation.
- Bloom, J. (2012). Willie Rivera Thoughts: Critical Small Schools and the Transition to Higher Education. In M. Hantzopolous and A. Tyner (Eds.) Critical Small Schools: Beyond Privatization in New York City Urban Educational Reform. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Chajet, L. (Spring, 2011). We Are All In It Together: The Role of Youth Leadership in College Access. Voices in Urban Education. Providence, RI: Annenberg Institute for School Reform at Brown University. http://annenberginstitute.org/VUE/vue30-chajet
- Chajet, L. and Stoneman-Bell, S. (2009). College for All? Youth Lead the Way. Rethinking Schools. http://www.rethinkingschools.org/restrict.asp?path=archive/23_02/all232.shtml
- Bloom, J. (2008). “Social Class Resources and Widening the Road to College.” ASHE/Lumina Critical Essay Series. http://www.elps.hs.iastate.edu/documents/ashe/JaniceBloomCriticalEssay.pdf?id=10
- Bloom, J. (2007).“(Mis)Reading Social Class in the Journey Towards College: Youth Development in Urban America.” Teachers College Record 109(2), 343-368. http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?contentid=12792
- Chajet, L. (2007). The Power and Limits of Small School Reform: Institutional Agency and Democratic Leadership in Public Education. In D. Carlson and C. Gause (Eds.), Keeping the Promise: Essays on Leadership, Democracy, and Education. New York: Peter Lang.
- Chajet, L. (2006). Transitioning from Small Schools to College: Putting Students in the Driver’s Seat. Horace. Volume 22, Number 1. Winter, 14. http://www.essentialschools.org/resources/331
- Bloom, J. (2005). Hollowing the Promise of Higher Education: Inside the Political Economy of Access to College. In L. Weis and M. Fine (Eds.), Beyond Silenced Voices: Race, Class and Gender in United States Schools. Albany: State University of New York Press.