What is Right to College?
|The Right to College program supports Student Success Centers and positions Youth Leaders to engage their peers in the post-secondary planning process. Youth Leaders do this by: facilitating workshops; planning events; supporting other students in their search, application, and financial aid process; and working to promote an overall college-going culture within their institutions. Through comprehensive training and support, Youth Leaders develop a range of skills and content knowledge that they then use, not only to improve their own educational and social outcomes, but also as a platform to make college access and success possible for a wider circle of students.
Key ingredients to high quality youth led programming:
Clearly Defined Role:
work hours, and well-de-
fined and achievable goals
Youth to Youth
Connection: Time within
the schedule and physical
space to connect to other
Training and Support:
Training in the relevant
information about the college
process and careful and
consistent adult supervision
Demonstration that the
contribution is valuable,
through pay or academic
How does CARA support Right to College programming and Student Success Centers?
- Training – CARA runs multi-session Youth Leadership Training Institutes for Youth Leaders on all aspects of the college application process.
- Coaching – CARA offers site-based support to adult staff at schools, and organizations to support the integration of youth leadership into existing college access work.
- Community – CARA brings Youth Leaders from across the city together regularly over the academic year and establishes an on-going community for learning and support among both Youth Leaders and adult staff.
|“As a Youth Leader… I keep students on track and make sure they complete the right steps on time. Because I am also a student, we are in class together, in lunch together, and walking the same hallways. I use all of those times to remind students about what they need to be doing for college.”
-Youth Leader, Franklin K. Lane Campus Student Success Center
Sites and Partnerships
- Bushwick Campus Student Success Center with Make the Road NY: Academy for Environmental Leadership, Academy for Urban Planning, Brooklyn School for Math and Research, Brooklyn School for Social Justice
- Central Park East High School
- Bronx Theatre High School and ELLIS Preparatory Academy with Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
- DeWitt Clinton High School with Good Shepherd Services
- Flushing High School, Flushing International High School and Queens High School of Language Studies with Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE)
- George Washington Campus Student Success Center with Good Shepherds Services: The College Academy, High School for Media and Communications, High School for Law and Public Service, High School for Health Careers and Sciences
- High School of Fashion Industries with Hudson Guild
- High School for Hospitality Management
- Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
- Lane Campus Student Success Center with Cypress Hills LDC: Academy of Innovative Technology, Brooklyn Lab, Cypress Hills Collegiate Preparatory School, Multicultural High School
- Lehman Campus SSC with East Side Settlement House: Herbert H. Lehman High School, Renaissance High School for Musical Theater & Technology, Schuylerville Preparatory High School, Bronx River High School, Pelham Lab High School, Westchester Square Academy
- Longwood Campus Student Success Center with Goog Shepherds Services: Holcombe L. Rucker School of Community Research, Banana Kelly High School
- Mott Haven Campus with East Side Settlement House: New Explorers High School, Bronx Leadership Academy II High School, Careers in Sports High School
- Taft Campus Student Success Center with New Settlement Apartments: Bronx Collegiate Academy, Bronx High School of Business, Claremont International High School, DreamYard Prep, Urban Academy High School for History and Citizenship for Young Men
*These sites have youth leadership programs for high school choice, modeled after Youth Leadership for College Access.