Youth Leadership for College Access
Youth Leadership for College Access in Schools and Community-Based Organizations
CARA works with individual schools and community-based organizations to integrate youth leadership into their college access programming. It does this by training the youth leaders, providing coaching to adult staff as they integrate youth leader work into the structures and practices of a school or community-based organization, and connecting sites to one another to share best practices.
Youth Leader training is done in partnership with Goddard Riverside’s Options Institute, trainers to college counselors throughout New York City.
CARA’s work with Youth Leadership for College Access began with its support of the development of Student Success Centers, youth-led college access centers located on multi-school campuses. The first Student Success Center opened in NYC in 2009 as a result of a student-led organizing campaign to improve supports to New York City public school students who had college dreams but did not have the school-based supports to realize them.
- Bushwick Campus Student Success Center with Make the Road NY: Academy for Environmental Leadership, Academy for Urban Planning, Brooklyn School for Math and Research, Brooklyn School for Social Justice
- Brooklyn High School for Leadership and Community Service
- Central Park East High School
- East Side Community School
- Fannie Lou Hamer Freedom High School with The Children’s Aid Society
- Flushing High School with Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE)
- Flushing International High School with Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE)
- Girls for Gender Equity
- Goddard Riverside Community Center
- Harlem Renaissance High School
- High School for Fashion Industries with Hudson Guild
- Innovation Diploma Plus
- Lane Campus Student Success Center with Cypress Hills LDC: Academy of Innovative Technology, Brooklyn Lab, Cypress Hills Collegiate Preparatory School, Multicultural High School
- North Queens Community High School
- Red Hook Initiative
- Taft Campus Student Success Center with New Settlement Apartments: Bronx Collegiate Academy, Bronx High School of Medical Science, Claremont International High School, DreamYard Prep, Urban Academy High School for History and Citizenship for Young Men
For more information of Youth Leadership for College Access programs contact Lori Chajet: email@example.com